A school using the Active & Healthy Schools™ (AHS™) Program incorporates activity breaks into the classroom environment to give students relief from extended periods of sitting. It also includes visual aids, such as Point-of-Decision Prompts, to motivate students to be active.
The AHS™ Program will make it easy to achieve the following goals for the school day:
- Provide 15+ minutes of recess daily.
- Offer 20+ minutes or more for physical activity after lunchtime.
- Hold at least three activity breaks of 3 to 5 minutes in length throughout the school day (not including recess or lunchtime).
- Provide a PE program that meets two or more days each week.
- Offer students the opportunity to earn the President's Challenge Active Lifestyle Award.
- Provide a physical activity program to teachers and staff.
- Post activity prompts and signs promoting activity throughout the school.