Before- and after-school activities in the Active & Healthy Schools™ (AHS™) Program create positive environments that encourage participation. Activities are novel or adapted so all students can join in, not just those who feel comfortable playing traditional team sports.
The AHS™ Program will make it easy to achieve the following goals during the hours before and after school:
- Establish an after-school activity program (playground or gym facilities should be open and available).
- Zone playground for safety, according to AHS™ guidelines.
- Create an AHS™ message center (bulletin board) highlighting after-school activities, rules, news, and activity directions.
- Focus on recreational (rather than competitive) activities.
- Offer after-school field trips.