While increasing physical activity is an important goal for optimal health, teaching students to better manage their eating habits is just as important. The Active & Healthy Schools™ (AHS™) Program teaches youngsters how to select food from every food group, get the most nutrition from the calories they ingest, and balance food and physical activity.
The AHS™ Program will make it easy to achieve the following goals during the hours before and after school:
- Create a Food and Nutrition Team to oversee breakfast, snacks, lunch, celebrations, and fundraisers.
- Promote awareness of food groups, calories, and balance of activity and nutrition.
- Post Point-of-Decision signs to encouraging healthy food choices.
- Offer healthy breakfast and lunch menus.
- Offer incentives for making healthy food choices.
- Provide take-home information about healthy food choices.